Saturday, March 8, 2014

Trying to Pay it Forward

A while ago I placed an order with Moo (lovely Moo!) for some more greetings cards for my Etsy shop and sadly they made a printing error on one of the designs, so I sent them an email and was hoping that they might perhaps reprint the affected cards for free or give me a small discount on my next order with them. Amazingly they very kindly reprinted the whole order (100 cards!) for free. I was really impressed with this - they always have seemed like a really lovely company but I felt that this was above and beyond what I would have expected as good customer service.

So I now have all these lovely cards sitting in a box in our house and I was wondering how I could try and pay their generosity forward....

It finally dawned on me after I received the ''Quan Ba Community Newsletter'' in the post. You see, for the last few months I have been using some of my 'selkie crochet' money to sponsor a little girl in the Quan Ba region of Vietnam, through the wonderful organisation Action Aid Ireland. It's only €23 a month but makes a HUGE difference out there. 

My sponsor girl was born in 2006 and attends kindergarten. She lives in the second poorest province in Vietnam where there isn't any running water - people have to store water from the river or rain water in buckets; there are often severe water shortages in the 'dry season' (November to March). People really struggle to live there, with limited health care and less than one fifth of the land being suitable for agriculture.

Twice a year I receive a drawing from Si (my sponsor child) and also a handwritten letter from the local field staff to inform me on how she is doing and what's happening in the local community. As her sponsor I can send her postcards from here in return.

Action Aid also have a 'gift fund' where you can donate extra funds and the money will go directly to your sponsor child's area and will be used for items such as sports equipment, helping fund a playground, organising community events and even things that we all take for granted here like warm winter coats .



Reading in the newsletter about the gift fund really sparked something in my head and suddenly I knew just what to do with the 'extra' greetings cards :)

So for the whole of the rest of this month I am selling my cards on a 'pay for two and get one free' offer on all the cards in my Etsy shop - please click on the link below and it will take you right there.



All you have to do is purchase two cards and then in the 'message to seller' box please let me know which one you would like for free.The price is in US dollars (as most of my Etsy customers are American) but it works out at about €2.50 I think per card - so you will get three lovely, great quality, greetings cards for just €5! --- and even better, you will know that you are helping support such a great cause.

At the end of the month I will then donate all of the proceeds to the Action Aid Ireland gift fund for Vietnam where it will go to help the local community.

p.s. I'd like to say a big big thanks to Jo-Ann at Action Aid Ireland for providing the photo of all the school children in their lovely new coats.

action aid ~~~ please click here if you would like more information about sponsoring a child yourself; or just more information about who Action Aid are and what they do.


edited to include ~~~ if you just want to buy one card that's fine too - the money will still go to actionaid

No comments:

Post a Comment