Saturday, September 12, 2015

It feels like it's properly Autumn now - though in the last couple of weeks the weather has probably been warmer than it has been all through what was meant to be our Summer this year. Nevermind, I'll settle for an 'Indian Summer' rather than no Summer at all.

I've been making barmbracks lately again - I can't remember the last time I'd made them, but with the days getting shorter, it feels like the right time for proper old-fashioned comfort food.

I always use my Grandmother's recipe, which my Mum gave me years and years ago - it's the best barmbrack you'll ever taste!
 You have to soak the raisins and sultanas overnight (or longer) in strong black tea - I leave the tea bags in while it's all soaking
 Then you mix in the egg, sugar, flour and baking powder and give it a good mix.
They take forever to bake and it's a real skill to not burn the top! -- finally serve with proper butter and enjoy :)

Recipe:

1/2lb flour
1/4lb sugar (I use brown sugar)
1/2lb mixed fruit (raisins and sultanas)
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder

soak fruit overnight or longer in a large cup of black tea; drain and reserve the liquid.

beat the egg and add the sugar - add this to the fruit and then mix in the flour and baking powder.

add the extra liquid if required (you don't want too 'loose' a mixture or it will take ages to cook)

mix well then place in a small lined loaf tin and bake for 1 and a half hours at gas mark 5

No comments:

Post a Comment